Senior Electrical Engineer for Wireless Power Solutions
Experience: 7+ years relevant experience with BS EE, or 5+ years with MS/PhD EE
Location: USA Company Headquarters Chicago, IL
Role Description: NuCurrent is looking for a Sr. Electrical Engineer who is motivated to work closely with a talented and diverse engineering group to drive power electronics hardware design, integration, and validation. The candidate will work very closely with senior electrical hardware, electromagnetics, software, and mechanical engineers to design and bring custom boards up from scratch, and exhibit strong cultural values that put the customer first, go beyond the standard, show strong ownership, innovate further, and show strong people skills.
Company Description: NuCurrent is a leading technology and IP company in the high growth field of wireless power and is emerging as the go-to provider of wireless power solutions for the world’s leading product companies. Spanning across industries including auto, consumer, industrial, IoT, mobile, wearables and more, NuCurrent designs systems and key components for Fortune 500 companies and other industry leaders to enable wireless power transfer in new product releases. The Company supports product teams within large companies to bring wireless power innovations to market faster, with fewer risks, lower costs and better technology, while pushing the boundaries of system performance, charge speed, user flexibility and form factors. NuCurrent is a fabless technology company with a robust network of certified manufacturers and is an active leader in specification development across multiple industry standards bodies. NuCurrent has an energetic, purpose-driven work environment built by phenomenal people who go beyond expectations, are highly curious, deeply innovative and, above all, put customers first.
Supervisor’s Title: Engineering Director
- Lead a team of electrical, mechanical, software, and electromagnetics engineers on the development of wireless power systems and modules for a diversity of applications, from spec development to customer product delivery.
- Architect, simulate, model, design, and validate wireless power solutions for customer applications
- Be the customer-facing technical authority on NuCurrent wireless power technology
- Work closely with engineering and sales team to translate product requirements into engineering deliverables.
- Lead the design and development of wireless power systems for a variety of projects in parallel.
- Work and adhere to project timelines to deliver on-time prototypes, test results, and documentation to customers.
- Significant design use of simulation tools such as SPICE (or equivalent) for circuits, mathematical analysis and test environment scripting using Matlab (or equivalent), and Schematic and PCB layout using Altium.
- Development will include extensive hands-on testing with RF boards developed either in-house or by partners/customers, using oscilloscopes, VNA’s and other test equipment.
- Influence management, partners, and customers to support successful implementation of design
- Contribute to the development of Intellectual Property.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proven track record of simulation, modeling, design, and hands-on validation of mixed signal hardware
- Circuit design and PCB design for EMI/EMC mitigation methods and techniques
- Strong understanding of electromagnetics and magnetostatics (100 KHz – 100 MHz ideally)
- Experience with validation of PA’s (1 W to 50 W), tuning/impedance matching circuits, voltage regulators
- Strong written & verbal communications skills, and good interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in use of electrical test equipment, i.e. oscilloscope, multimeter, soldering tools
- Demonstrated success in resolution of technical challenges leveraging strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work individually and in small teams that may include contractors working remotely
- Relentless and enterprising approach to solving problems
- Ability to multitask and be flexible
PREFERABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- PA design experience of high efficiency Class D, E, F amplifiers (ideally in the 1-50Mhz range)
- DC-DC Converter experience from LF to HF (up to 10MHz preferred)
- Experience in wireless power applications
- Experience with NFC technology
- Strong understanding of Bluetooth and connectivity protocols
- Antenna/RF simulation, optimization & testing
- Experience in hardware development for mobile devices with WiFi/GPS/NFC
- Experience with C programming, and understanding communication protocols such as I2C, SPI, UART
- Knowledge of battery charging circuits and batteries