Jr. Hardware Engineer
Experience: BS Engineering or Physics required, MS EE or ME preferred
Location: Chicago, IL
Company Description: NuCurrent is a leading technology and IP company in the high growth field of wireless power and is emerging as the go-to provider of wireless power solutions for the world’s leading product companies. Spanning across industries including auto, consumer, industrial, IoT, mobile, wearables and more, NuCurrent designs systems and key components for Fortune 500 companies and other industry leaders to enable wireless power transfer in new product releases. The Company supports product teams within large companies to bring wireless power innovations to market faster, with fewer risks, lower costs and better technology, while pushing the boundaries of system performance, charge speed, user flexibility and form factors. NuCurrent is a fabless technology company with a robust network of certified manufacturers and is an active leader in specification development across multiple industry standards bodies. NuCurrent has an energetic, purpose-driven work environment built by phenomenal people who go beyond expectations, are highly curious, deeply innovative and, above all, put customers first.
Supervisor’s Title: VP of Engineering
PRIMARY PURPOSE AND FUNCTION:
- Develops wireless power systems and modules for a diversity of applications, including hand-held devices, automotive, medical and other consumer applications.
- Execute entire development cycle; starting from obtaining spec from customer, to delivery of product-ready prototype and BOM.
- Designs charging circuits based on available components and reference designs from partner companies.
- Extensive hands-on design, troubleshooting and modeling will be required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand product requirements via research and customer-engagement. Work closely with Antenna Engineers to translate product requirements into engineering specifications.
- Execute the design and development of wireless power systems (including circuit and antenna design) for a variety of projects in parallel.
- Devise timelines and work with internal team, partners and vendors to ensure smooth progress of project, and adherence to timelines:
- Design will include using simulation tools such as SPICE (or equivalent) for circuits, EM simulation software for antennas, and mathematical analysis using Matlab (or equivalent)
- Development will include extensive hands-on testing with RF boards developed either in-house or by partners/customers, using oscilloscopes, VNA’s and other test equipment
- Invent and develop intellectual property.
- Brief the company management on a regular basis on achievements and goals.
- Have fun! Few people get an opportunity to work in an awesome startup at the cusp of a revolutionary market.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- BS in Engineering or Physics
- Relentless and enterprising approach to solving problems
- Passion for developing hardware (boards and/or consumer product)
- Strong understanding of electromagnetics and magnetostatics (100 KHz – 100 MHz ideally)
- Experience with PA’s (1 W to 50 W), tuning/impedance matching circuits, voltage regulators
- Strong understanding of Bluetooth and connectivity protocols
- Ability to work individually and in small teams that may include contractors located in different locations
- Ability to multitask and be flexible
Good to Have:
- MS in EE/ME
- Experience in wireless power applications
- Experience with integration of 3rd party Bluetooth stack and middleware
- Antenna/RF simulation, optimization & testing (applications related to wireless power, RFIDs, NFC a bonus)
- Experience with PCB layout software and concepts
- Experience in hardware development for mobile devices with WiFi/GPS/NFC
- Knowledge of thermal management materials and experience in designing for thermal management