Vice President of IP (executive role)
Title: Vice President of IP (executive role)
Location: Company HQ, Chicago, IL
Supervisor’s Title: CEO
Company Description: NuCurrent is a high-growth, high-potential venture-backed Chicago-based tech company that has substantial customer traction and intellectual property in the wireless power space.
NuCurrent’s culture of innovation has led to over 85 patents granted or pending and cutting-edge technology that is featured in some of the world’s first wireless power products for Tier 1 and Tier 2 OEMs in consumer electronics, medical and industrial devices. Crain’s named NuCurrent as the Most Innovative Company in Illinois in the 2015 Eureka Index. NuCurrent is an elite team of high performance individuals with exceptional drive and passion for creating, and we hire candidates that exhibit these same qualities. For more information, visit http://www.nucurrent.com/aboutus/careers/
Role Overview: We are hiring our first-ever executive team leader of IP Strategy and Operations. This person will support our key customer relationships and protect our long-term licensing revenue growth by directing our IP program. We’re seeking an energetic creator with expert business acumen as well as depth of legal knowledge in Intellectual Property and Licensing.
Expected Deliverables and Accomplishments:
- Accelerate commercialization of NuCurrent’s technology through strategic development and
execution of a world-class IP licensing program.
- Own our licensing contracts by supporting the sales and operations teams with improved contract process management, licensing negotiation training, and strategic oversight.
- Direct the growth of NuCurrent’s existing patent and trade secret portfolio of over 85 patents
granted/pending worldwide and an additional 15 disclosures to date.
- Leverage NuCurrent’s innovative culture to increase the speed, quality, and scope of our IP protection process by resourcefully managing the bottleneck between our abundant innovation and the cost of creating protectable IP assets.
- Lead NuCurrent’s continued involvement in wireless power standards-setting to maximize financial return and IP ownership security for NuCurrent.
- Contribute to overall company strategy and execution as part of NuCurrent’s Sr. Executive Team, comprised of the CEO, CFO, VP Sales and Marketing, VP Operations, and VP Engineering.
Strong candidates have some or all of the following experience:
- Business experience in revenue generation related to IP, including negotiation experience on
multiple, significant licensing deals.
- P&L ownership of an IP strategy, defensive or offensive.
- A J.D. and legal practice experience in the IP field.
- An education in electrical engineering or physics, or an otherwise demonstrable ability to understand the electromagnetic foundation of NuCurrent’s cutting-edge technology.
- Experience working in small, high-growth environments. Will be able to “roll up sleeves” with a small team and scale team as conditions require.
- Experience in the licensing team of an established technology business with a strong licensing program, like Arm, Dolby, Interdigital, or Qualcomm.
- Has experience working at a product- or service-focused technology business (i.e., experience not limited to pure patent licensing).
- Direct experience managing licensing of a patent and/or trade secret portfolio
- Excellent leadership qualities; this is an executive role for our company
- Cultural fit with NuCurrent, demonstrating they are: resilient, solutions focused, impactful, curious and relentless in pursuit of success
Interested candidates: Send cover email and resume to email@example.com (subject: “VP of IP”)